Thursday 20 October 2011

Release the Hounds

I had, up until last week, been against the idea of fox hunting. I find it to be a cruel and barbaric sport, but hey, I'm no saint. I eat meat. Just don't like the idea of rich people torturing animals from horseback. Toffs shouldn't have fun.

Anyway, I changed my mind. I'm now in favour of fox hunting, and believe the ban is stupid. I'm lending my full internet-based support to those who recently defied the ban and let slip the dogs of war on a very specific fox.

Liam Fox hunting. A perfectly acceptable hobby.

I know that people are probably intimately familiar with Liam Fox's recent indiscretions concerning taking best buddy Adam Werritty on holiday with him. And on defence trips. And other places. And letting him live in his tax-payer funded second home. But I'm going to harp on about it anyway, mainly because I make a pun out of his name.

Clever.

Fox apologised in the House of Commons on Tuesday*, stating.

"I would like to say again that I am very sorry to all my colleagues here in the House and to all those who feel let down by the decisions that I have made...
"The ministerial code had been found to be breached and for this I am sorry. I accept that it is not only the substance but perception that matters and that is why I chose to resign. I accept the consequences for me without bitterness or rancour."

I would like to tell Liam at this point not to worry. If the apology was directed towards me*, a member of the public, I'd like to reassure him that I do not feel let down. Fortunately, I have insulated myself inside a bubble of cynacism and am thus not even remotely surprised or disappointed by his decision to do favours for his mate at our expense. Liam, don't worry. We saw it coming. We expected it. You are not alone.

I do have a little bit of an issue with the wording of the second half of your apology, though. When you accept 'it is not only the substance but perception that matters', is this an admission that you still don't really think you've done anything wrong? Have you just been attacked by a vindictive media?

Fox condems vindictive media.

Ah, it's like that...

'In a statement of apology to the Housse of Commons, Mr Fox said the "media frenzy... should worry all of us".'

Well, no. It should worry guys like you, but isn't that kind of the idea? It is only fair that in exchange for all your power and wealth, when you inevitably mess up, which you will do - and I stress, this is not because 'we're all human' or 'nobody's perfect', but because you are an idiot - you get savaged.

Savagely.

I think, Liam, the only thing that should be worrying you now is the sound of those horns...



Run Liam, it's the vindictive media.




* It could have been Wednesday but I honestly don't care.
* I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment